Hydrogen peroxide, also known by its formula H2O2 is a chemical compound that is often used as a mild antiseptic. It’s widely used from household to industrial use.

Today, we will explore more about this substance and answer the question if it’s a good or a bad thing for our furry friends.

Hydrogen peroxide

As said before, this chemical compound is used as a mild antiseptic. Therefore it may be used to prevent microorganisms from multiplying in order to prevent diseases they may cause.

Usually found in brown bottles, this common household chemical kills yeasts, fungi, bacteria, viruses, and mold spores.

Its potency may be different, depending on its use:

  • Household use – 3%
  • Hair bleaching – 6 to 10%
  • Food grade – 35%
  • Industrial – 90%

Using the wrong or higher potency of hydrogen peroxide can be fatal for both humans and animals.

You should not use this chemical compound unless you are sure it’s a good thing to do. I highly recommend medical advice.

There are many other substances dangerous to dogs. Make sure to read the Toxic substance list that dogs should never eat to make sure your dog does not have access to any, such as sugar or salt.


Hydrogen peroxide has a different variety of uses for years in households and industries in cleaning. That being said, it’s a very efficient cleaner, but can be harmful if used incorrectly – especially on pets.


  • Cleaning your dishwasher
  • Disinfecting cutting boards and desks
  • Washing vegetables
  • Scrubbing your sink
  • Cleaning dishes


  • Cleaning toilet
  • Cleaning mirrors and glass surfaces
  • Killing fungus
  • Whiten porcelain


  • Enhancing seeds
  • Clearing algae (from ponds or fountains)
  • Treating infected plants

So far, we can see that hydrogen peroxide is a very useful chemical compound. It shortens cleaning time because it’s more efficient than water.

However, this does not answer the question – is hydrogen peroxide good for pets?

Dogs looking through the fence

Usage of hydrogen peroxide on pets

In order to treat different illnesses and prevent poisoning, veterinarians often use this substance to induce vomiting to pets.

Therefore, this chemical can be useful for healing pets, but not in all cases.

Before knowing this substance harmed healing cells, people used it as first aid on wounds. Doctors no longer recommend this.

People use it to clean litter boxes and induce vomiting in pets.

This does not mean you should induce vomiting to your pet without consulting with the veterinarian, because it may be unsafe. The specific dosage of hydrogen peroxide is important as well, especially considering the dog’s weight.

Do not induce vomiting to a pet on your own, because it can be lethal.

Meanwhile, many substances are toxic to dogs, vegetables can be too. Learn what are toxic vegetables that dogs should never eat to protect your furry friend from bad food, that may cause vomiting and may even be fatal.


Besides many of its uses in household and industry, hydrogen peroxide can also be beneficial to pets.

The dog should throw up poisonous substances before digesting it in the stomach. Otherwise, it may create more problems with their health.

I highly recommend talking to a veterinarian or other animal expert before inducing vomiting to your pet.

Leave a Reply